Monday, May 16, 2011

Performance is boring if you dont feel your getting any better

I have had a very interesting week.  I have watched some students really step up and demonstrate commitment to their onstage craft development.  Others that should be demonstrating previously shared knowledge are still reluctant in application.  These few are confident they are doing great and are at the moment in the “no need to improve anything here” mode. I remain confident in their development, may be just a little slower.
Commitment and Application
I want to become better than great at what I do and I want the same for them.
I want my students to be relaxed and exude the confidence of knowing what they are doing when they are onstage.  I want that relaxed confidence to be part of their presence when they are performing.  I want them to feel the excitement that such a relaxed confidence gives and I want their audiences to be able to bask in the aura it will create for them.  An aura that only knowledge and application of the onstage fundamentals creates and generates.  They don’t need to be the best at singing or dancing or juggling or any other art but they do need to be the best they can be for their audiences.  To achieve this they need to seek as much knowledge as they can and take it on board working with it to improve what they do.


Woodshedding!!!!!!      As a student you need to commit and
Publish Post
apply.  Learning the Onstage Performance Craft is not a hit and miss adventure.  It can’t be some days I will and others I won’t.  You need to be consistent in order to develop.

As a student you need to be receptive to criticism.  If a tutor never tells you you are doing something incorrectly you will never look at improving the core talent.  If you are truly committed to becoming all that you can be onstage you will take advice and work with it.  If you are told and work against suggestions and critique you will never improve what you do.
  • You need to be receptive.
  • You need to learn.
  • You need to apply what you learn.
Without commitment and application to these elements there is no hope of achieving one’s true ability.
Performing becomes boring when you never feel the excitement of getting better at it!
Throughout the last couple of years I have been advised of many errors in my performance and my vocal and instrumental application and delivery.   In the initial stages of my training I would get annoyed and question such input but I have learned that nothing is achieved professionally or personally from an attitude such as that.  I have learned to take constructive criticism and work with it in committed application. Believe me it has been difficult at times but realising that I don’t know everything and being receptively accepting to the criticism is paying off with positive experiences.  Keep your heart and mind open to receive, develop tough skin.
Lately I am witness to a new trend.   The trend of loud singing.  It doesn’t matter if it’s a little off key and not quite in time with the music as long as it is loud.  I am hearing no tone or emotion but it’s loud and to the deliverers that is the main objective when singing.  I find this extremely frustrating.  We shouldn’t sing to demonstrate range and power?  Where are the moments????
This week I was fortunate enough to have experienced a simple one hour singing lesson with a highly regarded coach, Laura Mitchell who opened my eyes to the soft sweet side of my vocal ability.  What a difference in sound.  I still delivered with tone, emotion and strength but effortlessly.  All the years of abuse and incorrect use of my vocal folds were some how not as evident by the end of the hour.  I need to commit to improving my vocal technique so I will apply those simple techniques.  It is something only one person can do for you! What will you commit to in order to develop your core talent this week???
This week I will further that education with Renee Grant – Williams in order to offer assistance to our students vocally
Renee is extremely experienced in her field,  coaching an echelon of artists and musicians and I look forward to absorbing all she teaches throughout her visit this coming week.  I have seen that proven technical tips work  when applied so it is going to be exciting seeing how these things work with the beautiful voices currently studying at the AICM..
The major asset when developing ability is the driving passion to achieve your goals.
“Performance is not something I think I want to do. It is something that is a must do and want to do.  I don’t need to be a star but if I want to be a performer I need to discipline myself and focus on the learning and even more so the application of this knowledge.  I want to improve what I deliver and connect with people through my music so I need to do these things. I need to manage my time in order to fit my wood shedding in”.

No comments:

Post a Comment